Saturday, August 26, 2006

Looking back at my crossroads...a really bad metaphor

People use the phrase "at a crossroads" far too often. They always say it the same way too. They take a deeper breath than normal and force themselves to speak the cliche with the utmost confidence. "Sounds like you are at a real crossroads in life," they say with a air of authority. Like they've been at that same crossroad before. When in actuality, I believe that "standing at a crossroads" is a fleeting moment in comparison to the road you just traveled and the road you end up choosing.

When I reflect on my "standing at a crossroads" moments, I see myself stopping, resting to catch my breath, looking in all directions and then taking the road my heart leads me to. Just like that, I am no longer at a crossroads. I am now on a different road. I am scared when I end up taking the "road less traveled." I am sad when there is no one "on the road" with me. And, often taking the new road is far more challenging and emotion filled than the "standing at a crossroads" moment. But, the saddest and most unfortunate thing is that the people who over use the "crossroads" phrase are generally the people still standing at them. I am not so far from my most recent crossroads that I can't still look back and see the ones I love still standing at them either scared to choose or more frightened not to try. Or worse yet, not able to admit that life moves on an endless winding road with twist and turns and if you continue to make house at the crossroads, you will only be forced to play a continuous game of chicken while dodging those who come to your crossroads and actually make a choice fully embracing the risks.

A metaphor that, now that I have over used in every way possible, will hopefully never find it's way back into my vernacular.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm. . . I don't know how to feel about this. Are you implying you're the only one moving? I hope not. Otherwise I identify with some ideas of the post, including the feeling, sometimes, that friends are standing still, still complaining or angsting over the same things they have for one, two, three, or more years, etc.

Interesting little tidbit for you: the expression "at the crossroads" comes from ancient Greek Tragedy where much of the tragic happenings leading to the main charachter's downfall would happen "at the crossroads" and the ancient Greeks would actually pray to the goddess of the crossroads to forgive their trespasses, indiscretions, etc. and withhold her wrath. . . .

Anonymous said...

The Grammar Queen falls from grace! I hate that I spelled "character" wrong!

There's no dunce cap big enough. . . .