Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Unicorns and Libras

The balloon he twisted and shaped into and Odie-look-a-like was charming and playful. He handed it to me with my name on the collar. How youthful. He encouraged my own balloon making and creativity and stood behind me with his arms and hands serving as instructors.

The photos of his nieces and nephews plastered all over his mantle and bed stand show is devotion and loyalty. He speaks of his brother and his sister almost every time we talk.

His apartment is wall-papered with books. As well as his nightstand and desk. Moby Dick is his current literary endeavor. This after completing the Harry Potter Series for the second time in anticipation of the 7th installment.

His glasses are EMO with out being pretentious. His jeans are frayed from use not from dollars. His T-Shirt falls on him so comfortably, as if his chest hair is the grass underneath a picnic blanket.

His conversation is always full-bodied, intense with out being overwhelming, intellectual with out being arrogant, academic with out being droning, and passionate without being aggressive.

His friendships are strong, committed and full of effortless efforts.

His talents are art and photography as well as working with children.

He takes yoga because he likes what the teacher says in class not because he wants a six pack or gain access to his toes. He reads up on Buddhism, homeopathic medicines, spirituality and doesn't commit to any one fully.

He orders pasta with no reservation.

He has braved the city for over 10 years. He has stared familiar death in the face more than once. He has had his heartbroken and performed the breaking himself.

He enjoys the cocktails but doesn't smoke. He has no addictions or fearful habits that are not under control.

He listens to The Weepies and The Gossip.

He writes in a journal. He attends the theatre. He travels.

He does things like...lifting his and my shirts up to expose our chests while lying in bed for the first time and presses our torsos together. Skin to Skin. Holding me tight and nibbling my ear he says things like..."this feels so nice. Doesn't it?"

It does.

But, this is all I see of him. Now. At least. He is a Unicorn.

I am a Libra. There is a balancing act. And, this unicorn impression I am getting is exactly why one day before my date with the Unicorn, I will meet up with the Jew who lives in Brooklyn but wishes for the LES, only wears skinny Diesel jeans, carries a huge purse, has no ambitions, holds on to his heritage because he likes Shabbat dinners, smokes, sleeps in, has nothing hanging on his walls, won't accompany me to the theatre, and leaves everyone thinking he is a huge Bitch and we will get drunk and have sex.

This will be less than 24 hours before I nervously and excitedly meet up with the unicorn and ultimately not put out.

And, I will never understand this about myself.

2 comments:

Cristi said...

Unicorn sounds too good to be true. "Better the devil you know" or something like that.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes we want what we want because we will never be satisfied with what we think we need. Just be careful that what you want makes you truly happy. Everything is a balancing act, I guess.

Regardless of my rambling...this was a beautiful post.