Friday, June 23, 2006

Chucky

I rarely feel old. I look young, I act young, but at times I bitch like an old person. But, I truly never feel old. Mostly, because there is always someone around who is older than me to remind me to shut the fuck up about my age.

There are a few things that happen in life that remind me that I am getting old-er , however. Like walking up five flights of stairs.
Needing more time to nurse the hangover.
The shows that are on my DVR List.
The Toad The Wet Sprocket tickets I purchased.
My friends are turning 30 and 40.
My friends are married/have babies/something in that ballpark.
The lines on my forehead.

But, there are only a few rare occurrences that remind me that I am proud of getting older. And, not just getting older, but wiser, more mature and behaving like an adult. It often takes a child to teach me these rare lessons.

When we were kids, most of us would have some friends in third grade and by fourth grade we had a new batch. My mom would say, "what happened to Scott and Steve?"
I would roll my eyes and reply with a sharp..."Oh, them! They are so not my friends anymore." When we are young we go through friends like denim. Wear them out, rip some holes in them, grow out of them and throw them to the goodwill. New year. New Friends. New pair of Pepe's!

I do not do that anymore. I refuse to do that. My friends are my friends and always will be. When things get rough, my friends and I look each other in the eye and tell each other to Fuck Off! Only to call each other the next day and explain ourselves, our behavior, etc. Even if it takes time to heal from a fight, a disagreement, a situation, we remain friends. I know adults who treat their friends like denim. These people have not grown up or out of that phase.

(A for instance)--If my friend Joel and I got into a fight, but had to see each other the next day at a group function. You'd better believe we would speak before that function so that the tension would be lessened and the awkwardness would not affect anyone else. We would also have enough respect for each other and everyone else to treat each other with common courtesy.
A childhood friend, in this instance, would see me, ignore me, roll their eyes, pout, whimper, whine, boldly act happy and unaffected, and pretend I didn't exist.

(A reality)--This happened to me. I felt like I was 12 or 13. He is an adult still in that phase. He disrespected my position, my friendship, my humanity. I was invisible. I don't have time for friends like this anymore. Heavy sighs, rolling eyes, and grudges are child's play. And there have already been too many sequels made of that stinkin' movie!

3 comments:

Jodi said...

I completely agree. Friends stick with you through the hard stuff, and they accept your apology or give one. I like your descriptions of kids and friends!

goblinbox said...

It now takes me about two entire days to get over a hangover. Three to get over a really, really bad hangover.

Ageing doth suck, yea verily.

Plus: fuck that guy. Jerk.

Unknown said...

So true! I get so frustrated with my friends but know that some things you just work through or out. Friends are worth the effort. Too bad your guy didn't get it : (