Saturday, October 07, 2006

SIGNS (Post #2)

May 1997

As Desiree and I were being hand cuffed, shouted at, and shoved into the back seat of a cop car on Broadway and 79th Street, I couldn't help but think that I might be able to get away with never telling my parents about this.

We were poor college kids (18 and 19 years old) desperate to get the hell out of the dorm (crack house) and create some sort of fun. We emptied our pockets. Collectively, we had enough money and tokens for two round trip subway rides, two huge cafe au laits, and maybe some sort of pastry. We chose to go to BMW's on 7th Ave and 21st Street. It stood for Beer Music Wine. But, they were also a cafe, so no ID check at the door. But, they had live music and it was free. 10:30p.m. and we were out the door and on our way to the subway.

It wasn't until after fingerprints, mugshots, 9 hours in a holding cell and a court date set for the second week of June, that I realized there was no explaining this to my parents. "Ma, Dad...umm I have been arrested, but it's nothing to worry about. I was just trying to save a little money. We pushed both of us through the turnstile on one token. They were undercover."

Now I would have to stay in NYC to attend court whether my parents liked it or not. I re-booked my flight, missed a wedding rehearsal dinner (that I was singing for), all for $1.50 token violation by two piss-ass-poor college kids. I sat in a diner with Desiree and picked at my cheese fries, ignoring the universe that was practically spelling it out for me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

bad boy bad boy - whatcha gonna do whatcha gonna do when they come for you! yes no more time in the slammah for me either! p.s. i love my new job, i think it is going to be so much fun!
love ~ putter jr. no.2

goblinbox said...

NINE HOURS for stealing A TOKEN?!??!