Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Big Yellow Taxi

For the past couple of months or more, I envisioned some sweet dinner with only 6 to 8 of us at some circular table in a very secluded section of a dimly lit Hell's Kitchen Establishment. Every night, I would put my headphones on and drown in the "going away soundtrack" I created for us. While listening, I would envision the perfect toast. The toast would be precise, succinct, personal, sensitive, and touching enough to draw tears without sobs. I would draw on all the music we both loved. The songs you introduced me to. The songs I shoved down your throat and you eventually swallowed with sweet aftertaste. The prose and poetry from each song would fit together the way we once did. As if they were forming their own hit song together.

There would be lines like...
It's been a busy day with some heavy seas. But you've done your best. I know you've got a lot of strength left. Everything is temporary, But I can be someone to fall back on. Because, don't it always seem to go..."that you don't know what you got till it's gone." Paved paradise and put up a parking lot.

I miss you.
We miss you.
There are so many songs that speak of you, to us, with me.
There are words I never said. The toast never happened. The cake mix still sits in my barren cupboard. I wanted you to have one last piece of poke-and-pour before you moved on.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Everything was way too rushed. I think it's always like that. It's the movie in our head battling with reality again. Yes, we miss. Like cray, yes.