Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Pet Shop Boy

I have spent the past 8 months in a haze. A foggy version of myself either simply going through the motions or standing motionless. In the scattered and tattered moments of bliss I do have the pleasure of experiencing, I have either been removed from my current state by way of alcohol or sex or I have been performing.

This haze has made me "unrecognizable" to some. But, mostly it's just made me fade into the background of life.

It began by me trying to move on from the last relationship only to realize I had begun the process over and over again feeling unsatisfied with the tactic at hand each trial.

It spiraled by me trying to get over the "getting over" phase of the "end of the affair", as I now dub it.

It blinded me when karma left the building only to leave me with pesty reminders and audible drips that could only be remedied by professionals.

I am coming out of the dark as Ms. Estefan tried to sing to us. In this light I have made unbearable realizations about myself and other's. I have become bitter and jaded when I always remained the realist with a deep sense of hope buried inside. I have transformed from a trusting all-American boy to a cynical, plotting lil' bitch. All the while wishing and hoping for someone to take me seriously.

I am beginning to realize why you didn't call back. Or why you didn't enjoy my body. Or why after two dates, or one sleepless sleepover, or drunken bed tumbling, or nicotine kisses, or intoxicating promises that you will never find comfort in my soul as a home.

I am just a lonely boy on display inside this pet shop we call community. I can look so cute and cuddly and you will come inside and ask to hold me, and touch me, and tease me and play me. Then you will think hard for only two minutes about the responsibility I will become, the nuisance I could be, the dependence I am already demonstrating and you will drop me back into my shredded newspaper box having satisfied your urges only to leave me longing for more.

Why is this so much easier for you?

The pet shop boys sing What Have I...What Have I...What Have I Done to Deserve This.

1 comment:

goblinbox said...

If we could only get our fucking needs met, we WOULDN'T BE SO FUCKING NEEDY. It isn't rocket surgery. Gah.