Monday, July 10, 2006

Body over Mind

The doctor shook my hand with a soft, subtle, warm and trusting smile on his face. He first asked me how I'd been, remembering a small detail from the previous visit. This increases his validity and overall stamp of my approval.

I lied. I told him through a graveled voice that things were going well. (Too many beers the night before this appointment and bummed 2! cigs)

He asked me if I had finally settled into my new place or if things at work had slowed down enough to get some much needed rest to kick of the remaining straggles of a cold.

I lied. I told him I had been sleeping a full 7-8 hours a night and work was easing up on me. (Insert a yawn--no joke--he giggles, I ponder the meaning of the word straggles)

He took a seat, crossed his legs and then proceeded to confidently read off my results of all my lab work. HIV--Clean...Hep--Clean...Syph-Clean...Kidneys--Great...Liver--pause--Good...(was he serious? my liver results read good on a medical lab report? whoa, maybe Bikram Choudray is on to something here...) He was so pleased with my lab results he used the word superb to describe my cholesterol. Like he was looking at an A+ book report I had brought home. He even got back up from his seat to show me the nation's averages, stating that I was in an "ideal" range. He was a bit too close to me. We were almost cheek to cheek. And, although my doctor isn't hot, he's still a thirty-something, not over weight yet, gay, male, DOCTOR!! and I was so happy too, that I wanted to hug him and kiss him on his cheeks. (Is that wrong?)

He said that my health was in excellent condition to enter my thirties. I smiled while the pangs of a burp began to make a small incision of indigestion on the walls of my heart. He began to fold up his files. I swallowed the burp while he wasn't looking. (El Centro restaurant mixed with Stella Artois)

"Is there anything else I can help you with today, Clem? Any questions." He asked so sincerely.

I lied. "No, Dr. Everret, thank you."

I would like to take this opportunity to thank my body for plowing along against incomparable odds. My body is kicking while I keep giving it a lickin'. Don't let those medical records fool you though. Just cause my blood and my organs are warm and functioning doesn't mean everything inside me is in agreement. I am grateful my mind and body can agree to disagree.

1 comment:

goblinbox said...

Hah! Hung over at a checkup results appointment! Touche!

In great shape to enter your 30's. What a weird thing to say. *chuckle*