Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Let Go (a jumbled mess)


It's like I can't walk anywhere without thinking about you. I didn't realize how much ground we have covered in this city. Even the bank on East 57th and Park. I remember stopping to get cash there for a cab. I saw it last night while walking. I am hardly ever in that neighborhood. I was listening to something slow and sad on my ipod. The clouds were spitting small sporadic drops of rain. The rain was so tiny and infrequent it caused me to doubt whether it was truly raining or all in my imagination. The imagination that was creating a soundtrack for this very walk down across 57th Street. I stopped in front of the bank and peered into the windows to see if I could see us. We were with Tiny Tim. We had just come from some silly place that people only ever go to as a novelty. I stood there soaking in my self-pity and played it all out in my mind. The laughter. How Tiny Tim and I were annoying you with our singing. The debate of where we were going to go next. Food? More drinks? I think we did food at a diner. As I stood on that street corner with my ipod playing songs from the "Slow Sap" playlist and the rain barely spitting at me, I fought back the tears. I swallowed my pride. I realized the mourning of things wasn't going to happen anymore. I finished out the scene in my imagination and the one on that street corner with a happy ending. In my mind we all got into a cab laughing and drunk and unaware of what lies ahead. On that street corner, I switched over my ipod to "Girls I Love" playlist. I threw back my shoulders and picked up my pace. Imogen came on singing..."Drink up baby down. Are you in or are you out? Leave you things behind because it's all going off with out you..."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm addited to your writing. When will we meet again...