Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Perfect Strangers

Today is his Birthday!

The obligatory call must be made.

I called while he was at work. I hoped to get the answering machine. She (the other woman) picked up the phone. She always picks up the phone. Does she work? Does she have a life outside of him? She tells me he is at work and after work they will be going out for supper.

Supper? I haven't used that word since 1996.

I tell her to pass on my birthday wishes. She informs me that he will be home after supper and I should try to call if I am not too busy.

"He would really love to hear from you," She says.

Would he? Would I? Why do I hate these calls so much?

I don't hate him. I love him. I am grateful for him. I just feel distant. The farther and farther away we are from each other, the more comfortable in the distance I become. Can't I just love him unconditionally and be there for him in times of need but remain strangers?

Never knowing each other. Never understanding each other. Never needing these things. Yet still loving one another. Isn't that what would make a perfect stranger?

2 comments:

goblinbox said...

I still don't know who you're talking about. Father? Step father?

I say supper. I've lived in the midwest for 15 years now. *rolleyes*

*smooch*

Anonymous said...

Call back after supper. Take it from me, the perfect stranger will not always be there and you'll miss him terribly and wish you'd have called a lot, lot more.