Friday, February 24, 2006

The 30/30 Challenge!


Today is February 24th. Today marks the beginning of my own personal challenge to myself. I am challenging myself to 30 minutes or more of exercise for the next 30 consecutive days. I realize that there is nobody to monitor me, which makes it easier to cheat. But, I plan to post everyday (as honestly as possible) to document my success or failure on this endeavor.

I am challenging myself to embark on this fitness craze for many reasons. The first being purely superficial. I am flying home on March 25th (day 30!) to see my family. I want to look good dammit! I want my family to comment on it. I want to get noticed. That's honesty. The other reasons are about the changes I have noticed in my energy, well-being, and body since falling off the fitness wagon months ago. Since March of 2004, I have been fitness focused. I worked really hard. Three times to the gym a week, at the very least. Rollerblading, conditioning classes, running, and in 2005 Bikram Yoga! But November and December 2005, I fell/flopped off the fitness wagon. I can count, on one hand not using my thumb, how many times I visited my gym in those 60 days. I can count, on two hands not using my thumbs or my pinky fingers, how many times I took a class (yoga or other wise). I can't begin to count how many pints of BEN & JERRY's I shoveled.

January was a little different. New Year. New crap. I started meeting up with a friend every Friday to train together at the gym. That motivated me a little. I work at the Bikram study now, so I at least take a class once a week. I pulled out my dumbbells from storage at home and my resistance bands. The weather has been teasing my rollerblades, but alas, not yet.

So, today I went to the gym and worked my chest and arms for one hour and a half. Nice start. 29 days to go.

No comments: