Thursday, February 16, 2006

Short Sleeves

Everyday (almost) I make a mid-afternoon, ten minute call to Joely. It's usually on my way to work and after she's grabbed lunch. My walk to work takes exactly ten minutes. Which includes a mandatory stop at The Coffee Pot for one large cup of hazelnut with skim. They have the best hazelnut coffee in NYC. When the walk is over, so is the conversation. Sometimes we both have tons to say. Other times not so much. Either way, Joely and I have developed a wonderful trust when hanging up with each other. Joely might be the only friend I could hang up on without a proper good-bye and there would be no hard feelings or even a second thought about it. In fact, this happens more often than not with Joely and I. The conversation could be trucking along at interstate speeds when I suddenly see my manager coming down the stairs at therapy and I say, "I'll call you back." Click. Or, better yet, Joely is surfing some blog while carrying on a conversation with me, something catches her eye and in the middle of my saga about money woes she abruptly says, "I gotta go. Talk to you later." Click.

And we will talk to each other later. Later, however, does not always mean ten minutes. Sometimes it doesn't even mean that day. Later can sometimes mean the next afternoon walk to work. She knows this. I know this. It's understood. I don't know how we got to this point. But, I like it. I like knowing that I can check in for four minutes and just as quickly check out until the next time. We are secure that there will be a next time, therefore the candid abruptness is acceptable on both parts.

So, with this in mind, today's conversation was no different. We talked about each other's blogs. We talked about a few other people's blogs. We talked about money. I stopped and cracked a hazelnut. We talked about the upcoming weekend. Then, we talked about the weather. Yes, the weather. The type of talk two people who are meeting for the first time within a mutual circle of friends talk about. I commented on the sudden shift. She commented on the temperature being ideal. I was elated with today's weather. I thought it was perfect. It made me long for the days of spring. It made me long for my rollerblades. It made me think about renting bicycles with my boyfriend. It made me think of outdoor cafes. It made me think of having the sunlight linger longer into the evening. Joely wasn't ready for this. She killed my buzz in a few short statements.

"Yea, it's nice but I am not ready for it yet. It's just a wake up call to remind me that time's a wastin' on getting to the gym in time for short-sleeves and tanks. I guess you could say my body's not ready for it yet."

My smile went from ear to ear to chewing on my lip with anxiety. Joely was right. Spring was just around the riverbend, and I still had bean poles for legs and broomsticks for arms. March is twelve days away. I haven't been tanning yet. I have been hiding under my blazers and button downs. I have been comforted by my sweaters and thermals. The topic of weather quickly shifted to the topic of motivation and exercise.

"I really wanna try to get to yoga this weekend."

"Me too. I want get to the gym and maybe cut back on the yoga."

"Yea, totally."

"I'll call you later."

Click.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry for the buzz kill. You can't fault me for speaking the truth.

goblinbox said...

Ugh. Getting Ready for Summer is a fucking drag. This summer I'm just gonna be fat and hairy, since I live in the middle of BFE and can tan naked all I want without anybody seeing me. Ever.

*lol*